Tuesday, April 9, 2013

Artemis Fowl: Cast Of Characters

Hands up, who's read Artemis Fowl?

If you haven't heard of it, it's a spectacular series. Hilarious, intelligent, with a ridiculous but lovable cast of characters, my favorite of which are shown below. Juvenile genius, bodyguard, and fairy vigilante included.


*SPOILERS* Spoilers are in the eye of the beholder, but you know, the stuff after this warning might could give something away. So if you don't want any spoilers about the Artemis Fowl seriescontinue at your own risk.



Artemis Fowl: Cast Of Characters


Left to Right: Foaly, Minerva Paradizo, Butler, Mulch Diggums, Juliet Butler, Holly Short, Artemis Fowl, and Julius "Beetroot" Root.


This is just a personal idea of what they'd look like, by the way. I was sort of revolted at the interpretation in the Artemis Fowl graphic novel. Butler's not a neanderthal, and Foaly is supposed to be a centaur, not a horse-man-hybrid-mash-up. Plus, Mulch has 'tombstone teeth', not rabbit teeth.

I also took a bit of artistic license to be able to fit them all together. As you know, if you've read the books, Minerva and Root wouldn't be able to be in the same room together, given the events in The Opal Deception. Said events that wreak havoc on fangirl emotions. And of course, Mulch would have gotten rid of his prison garb as soon as possible once he was on the surface and traded it in for his mining outfit. But he wasn't tall enough for me to show the more notable aspects of that outfit (cough cough), so I settled for a sterotypical prison shirt. Not that the Haven would be likely to use stripes for their prisons anymore.  

Artemis' outfit is based on an Armani suit. Because I pay attention to the little details, if not the big obvious ones. And Foaly's lower body was copied from one of Sarah's centaur drawings, which was copied from another centaur drawing from a library how-to book. But that's just because I'm not very good at drawing animals.

Some of the people in my house argued that Holly wasn't short enough, but I had already "downsized" her once, and once is enough for me. Trinity pointed out that Foaly looked "like someone who would sell insurance to little old ladies". Oh well. One certain person mentioned that I gave Juliet the same haircut I give Trinity whenever I draw her, and also voted for me to erase Minerva entirely (she doesn't like her very much - at all). Ahem, well, excuse me if I actually thought Artemis and Minerva were a good pair.
And no, I didn't add No. 1, or a certain pair of human brothers, or Opal Koboi. Maybe later. I'm sticking to these now.

Please tell me what you think! I'd like to hear what your opinion of the characters are supposed to look like. For those of you who have read the books, this is just my personal idea of what they look like. You have your opinions, I have mine. I try not to enforce popular book character appearances... much. Except for Arya, from the Inheritance Cycle. Have you seen the Eragon movie? "Raven black hair", the book said. "Green eyes", it said. She's an elf, folks! Would pointed ears really break the bank? Red hair, blue eyes... grumble grumble...

No comments:

Post a Comment